Policies & Requirements

At Menlo, we believe on-campus living is an essential part of the Menlo experience. We have instituted residence policies with the goal of maintaining a substantial on-campus student body and making on-campus living a positive experience for all. Once you are accepted to Menlo, we will send you more detailed information and instructions regarding on-campus housing.

Residence Requirements

All unmarried students who do not attain the age of 21 before the start of a semester must reside on campus unless they live with their parents or adult guardian in the vicinity of the college (defined as within 30 miles of the college.) This policy does not apply to those students with junior standing or those who have lived on campus for four semesters.

All international students must live on campus during their first year at Menlo. This will help you become more comfortable in the American educational system and student life at Menlo. However, international students with previous collegiate experience in the United States, or those who wish to reside with their parents in the immediate vicinity of the College, may petition the Office of Residential Life for a waiver of this requirement.

Changes in Residence Status

Students may not change from resident to day student status after July 15 for the Fall Semester or after December 1 for the Spring Semester—regardless of their eligibility to reside off-campus—without incurring a financial penalty. All requests for change of status must be made using the appropriate form available in the Office of Residential Life.


Resident Directors and Resident Assistants enforce all rules and regulations. Students are expected to adhere to residence hall policies established in the interest of maintaining a pleasant, respectful, and peaceful living atmosphere that is compatible with and necessary for a positive educational environment.

Policies are outlined in the Housing Application, as well as in the Student Handbook (which includes the Student Code of Conduct). Copies of the Housing Application are also available from the Office of Student Affairs.

Resident Refund Policy

A student who officially withdraws, changes residence status, or who is otherwise removed from campus housing may be eligible for a refund. If you are eligible for a refund, the date that you officially check out of your residence hall room with a staff member is the date that will be used to calculate residence fee refunds.

Room and board fees will be prorated through the 20th class day of occupancy. Room and board is a combined fee, not separated for billing purposes. There is no refund beyond the 20th class day during a semester. For additional information, please see Tuition & Fees.

Request Accommodations for Documented Disability in the Residence Halls

In accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Menlo College is committed to providing students with reasonable accommodation for well documented disability.  Individuals who are seeking disability accommodations within the residence halls are encouraged to indicate this intention in their Housing Application.  Additionally, please submit the following information to the Acting Disabilities Coordinator as soon as possible:

Documentation from your healthcare provider that states the following:

  • The diagnosis and/or health condition for which you are being treated
  • Your prognosis for treatment (i.e. for what period of time this accommodation is being sought)

A letter from the student which describes:

  • The impact of your condition on your daily living circumstances, and consequently
  • What your needs are within the residence halls

This information should be mailed to the following address:

Menlo College
Office of Student Affairs
1000 El Camino Real
Atherton, CA 94027

ATT: Acting Disabilities Coordinator

Still have questions? Please contact the Office of Residential Life.