Associate Director of Internships
Menlo College’s mission is to develop future leaders through a liberal arts-based business education that integrates academic study and fieldwork in a Silicon Valley environment unmatched in its potential for innovation.
Menlo College is seeking an entrepreneurial Associate Director of Internships to develop internship opportunities for students in the San Francisco Bay Area. This position is an opportunity to help shape and implement the College’s new academic internship program, which is part of Menlo College’s strategic vision and plan.
Reporting to the Director of Internships, the Associate Director of Internships has primary responsibility for creating internship partnerships with for-profit, non-profit, and government organizations in the Bay Area that will provide high quality learning experiences for Menlo students. The Associate Director of Internships also provides one-on-one/group career advising and counseling in order to prepare students for internships and post-graduation jobs.
The Associate Director of Internships:
- Develops strategic objectives for employer relations and internships that will yield maximum opportunities for Menlo College students.
- Evaluates and approves all internships before students are placed.
- Links with alumni, employers, professional organizations, and others who will provide opportunities to explore internship and career possibilities.
- Assists students with identifying appropriate internship opportunities based on their goals, interests, and competencies.
- Provides services through scheduled appointments and drop-ins with individuals, group programs, outreach opportunities, special events, information technology, and/or any other available resources.
- Evaluates and maintains online internship and career opportunity databases.
- Utilizes social media to effectively reach students, internship sites, and employers.
- Advocates for the advancement of internships and career services within Menlo College.
- Nurtures an environment where commonalities and differences among people are recognized.
- Addresses the characteristics and needs of a diverse population when establishing and implementing policies and procedures.
- Ensures that privacy and confidentiality are maintained with respect to all communications and records (to the extent such records are protected under the law and appropriate ethical practice).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
The Associate Director of Internships will hold an earned graduate degree in a field relevant to the position or possess an appropriate combination of educational credentials and related work experience. Other required qualifications include:
- Degree with emphasis in education, business, career or vocational counseling, psychology, human resources, student services, or related fields
- Six years of experience in developing internship partnerships
- Familiarity with corporations, nonprofits and government agencies, and an ability to develop partnerships with those organizations
- Understanding of U.S. Department of Labor guidelines for unpaid internships
- Working knowledge of experiential learning theories and best practices
- Track record of integrity, objectivity, and confidentiality
- Exceptional communication and organization skills
- Technology skills, including social media fluency with Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter
- Familiarity with National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) preferred
Compensation and Benefits
Menlo College offers a competitive compensation package with comprehensive benefits, including on-campus staff housing, subject to availability. On-campus staff housing may be secured at discounted rents for residents who participate in campus life programs.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a resume and cover letter in which they identify their interest in the Associate Director of Internships position to:
Director of HR
Please use the following subject line: Associate Director of Internships – First Name Last Name
About Menlo College
Menlo College is one of the top private business schools in California. We have a clear, unique focus: deliver business education with a strong liberal arts emphasis. As a small private college, we give personal attention to unleash creativity, encourage passions, build connections and excite entrepreneurial spirit to carry students confidently into the future.
We are a tight-knit community of exceptional, involved people. Faculty members teach and mentor from their perspectives as entrepreneurs, managers, scholars and community leaders. Menlo College attracts students from near and far who are serious about learning business, starting and leading organizations, playing intercollegiate sports, and volunteering in the community.
Menlo College is located in the heart of Silicon Valley – one of the world’s most entrepreneurial and innovative locations, rich with opportunities for experience-based learning.
Menlo College has been named among the “Best Colleges in the West” by the Princeton Review four years running, and was ranked #10 in the top tier of schools in Regional Colleges in the West in the 2014 edition of U.S. News & World Report “America’s Best Colleges.” For more about Menlo College, please visit www.menlo.edu.