Subject Research Guides
Country Research Guide
When to Use This Guide
Use this guide when you are looking for information about specific countries, such as historical, economical, socio-cultural, demographic, political, or geographic.
Finding General or Background Information on a Country
Country information can be found in the following sources.
- Statesman's Year-Book - Ref JA51 .S7
- Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life - Ref GN333 .W67 1998, vol. 1-4
- Nations of the World - Ref HC10 .N37 2004
- Worldmark Encyclopedia of National Economies - [online resource]
- Worldmark Encyclopedia of the Nations - [online resource]
- Encyclopedia Brittanica - Search for a country but also explore the "World Data" menu choice
- CIA World Factbook - Search by country name in search box in upper right
- Credo Reference - Search by country name
Subject Headings for Finding Information About a Country in the Book and Media Catalog
Search by "subject" using a country name and browse the categories that come up, such as the following examples:
Finding Articles About Countries in Research Databases
Search by country for political, economic, investment, social, and environmental overviews.
Search EBSCOhost for articles published in scholarly, trade, and general interest periodicals.
Selected Web Sites
globalEDGE – Country
Created by the Center for International Business Education and Research at Michigan State University, globalEDGE is a portal for international business professionals, providing links to information and learning resources on global business activities. Use the CountryInsights section for information on specific countries.
Country Briefings (The Economist)
This site features concise profiles of over 60 countries, including economic data and forecasts, fact sheets, and political and economic structure, as well as links to articles from The Economist (full text of all the articles is available through Bowman Library).
Page Last Updated: May 08 2014
1000 El Camino Real
Atherton, CA 94027
650.543.3825 (circ desk)
650.543.3826 (ref desk)
M-Th, 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
F, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
These Research Guides have been prepared by librarians to assist with your research. Read more:
For more information on citation style, see: