Ronald Kovas, M.B.A.
“We need to prepare our students to successfully compete in the world of business. I believe the best way to do that, in addition to class lesson curriculums focused on the realities of today’s business dynamics, is to merge the classroom experience with outside business professionals and their experiences by bringing in these ‘real world’ guest speakers on a frequent and regular basis and by going on-site to better understand the business models of leading companies, such as Facebook, Google, AKQA, Goodby, Berlin & Associates and KGO-TV (ABC).”
- MBA, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University,
- AB History (BS Economics), Stanford University,
Professor Kovas has 40 years of professional experience working with Fortune 500 and small to medium size companies across a broad spectrum of business and marketing related disciplines. He has strategized, created and executed marketing programs, re-engineered company organizations and operations, consulted small and emerging companies in developing actionable business plans and assisted companies preparing for sale to third parties. Additionally, he has been directly involved in over 20 mergers, acquisitions or divestitures in the marketing communications and internet segments, both as a principal and as an advisor to sellers on how to maximize value.
Positions have included 20 years in various senior domestic and international management positions with JWT Group, Inc., the parent company of J. Walter Thompson advertising, Hill & Knowlton Public Relations and SMRB Research Group; President and CEO of the Southam Business Information Group, specializing in on-line business information, magazines, newsletters and business services; President of Sunset Publishing, immediately following the Lane Family sale to Time Warner. He also has served as CEO of four (4) venture capital backed start-up companies.
Mr. Kovas, along with several associates, formed Venture Management Partners to work with both emerging and established companies in conducting company SWOT analyses for business mission re-positioning, developing Annual Business and Three Year Strategic Plans and in acquisitions, mergers and divestures. He continues in the role in addition to his teaching activities at Menlo College.
Board of Directors:
JWT Group, Inc.; P&C Foods, Inc.; Southam Business Information Group, Inc.; Time Publishing Ventures; SportsSense; AIM21, Inc.; Murphy’s Express, Inc.; Focalink, Inc.; i-Traffic, Inc.; Vernon Tool, Inc.; WWB Ventures
Non-Profit Board of Directors:
- American Association of Advertising Agencies: Vice Chairman, 1977-80
- Institute of Canadian Communications Agencies: 1980-86
- Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl: (Post season college football bowl game in San Francisco), 2002 - current, Chairman of the Board 2006-10, Chairman Emeritus-current
- Filoli: an historic site of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, Board of Governors 2011-current; Treasurer 2012-current
- Squaw Creek Homeowners Association: 1991 – 2001, 2008-current. President 1995-2001, 2009-13
- Stanford Athletic Board: 1978-84, 1991-94, 2001-04
- Stanford University Men’s Swimming Endowment Fund: 2007-current
Professional ActivitiesCourses Taught
- MGT401: Senior Capstone “Launching the Venture”
- SMG402: Sports Marketing
- MKT419: Integrated Marketing Communications
- MGT101: Introduction to Business Management