WORK AND PLAY IN THE BAY
Atherton lies in the center of what is locally called The Peninsula, the area from San Francisco to the Silicon Valley that is part of the greater San Francisco Bay Area. On average, there are 261 sunny days per year in Atherton, CA. The July high is around 83 degrees. The January low is 40. Our comfort index, which is based on humidity during the hot months, is a 65 out of 100, where higher is more comfortable. The US average on the comfort index is 44
Notable residents include:
- Guy Kawasaki, venture capitalist
- Willie Mays, Hall of Fame Major League Baseball Player
- Tom Proulx, co-founder of Intuit
- Jerry Rice, former NFL player
- Sheryl Sandberg, Chief Operating Officer of Facebook
- Eric Schmidt, Executive Chairman and former CEO of Google
- Charles R. Schwab, Founder and CEO of the Charles Schwab Corp.
- Jane Williams, Co-founder, President and CEO, Sandhill Global Advisors LLC
- Bob Weir, of The Grateful Dead and Ratdog, raised in Atherton
- George R. Roberts, co-founder and co-chair of KKR, a private equity firm
- Steve Westly, former State Controller of California, major Democratic Party fundraiser, and venture capitalist
- Meg Whitman, President and CEO of Hewlett-Packard, former CEO of Ebay, former Finance co-chair of Republican Mitt Romney's 2008 Presidential Campaign and national co-chair for Republican John McCain's 2008 Presidential Campaign, the Republican nominee for Governor of California.
There are plenty of public transportation choices in the San Francisco Bay Area. From the campus, you can walk to the Caltrain station that connects with Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) to take you to San Francisco and beyond, or you can take a bus. Need a car? Borrow a Zipcar! Menlo College has partnered with Zipcar to bring self-service, on-demand car sharing to the area. The cars are available on the Menlo campus. Remember, it’s all about location, and at Menlo College, you are in the right spot.